Muharram, The Festival Of Flagellation
The Muslim world this past week observed Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar. The 10th day of Muharram is Ashura, when Shi’ite Muslims mourn the death of the grandson of the Prophent Mohammed. Very devout Shi’ites cut and whip themselves into a bloody froth in observance. Here are photos of Ashura from Pakistan, India and Afghanistan.
WARNING: Graphic Images
You can see more photos with high resolution on Buzzfeed.
More Stuff For Your Inspiration:
- Cleaning The Dead – When Death Doesn’t Mean Goodbye
- Indian Teenage Girl Marries A Dog To Ward Off Evil Spirit
- Young Boy Offering Prayer On A Fence
- Chinese Man Huang Chuncai Had World’s Biggest Facial Tumor of 25kg
- Indian Man Performs Yoga Poses On Speeding Motorbike
- Gadhimai Festival Nepal: 300,000 Animals Killed To Bring Worshipers Good Luck
- Fish Dressed Up As Bride & Groom In Bengali Gaye Holud Wedding Ritual